Thursday, November 3, 2011

The "Sweet" in Sweet Potato

Over the past couple of weeks I've been
researching how to eat more natural foods. 
It's a total mindset change from choosing easy
processed foods to choosing how to prepare healthy,
natural, farm-based foods. 

If you're going down the grocery aisle and
you pick up an item off the shelf and it contains
more than 5 ingredients, and if you are unable to pronounce
some of those ingredients, place that item back on the shelf. 
It will do more harm than good to your body. 

Much of this intentional eating inspiration comes from the
documentary my friend, Melissa Nickel, had some of us girls watch
when we were all together in KC a couple weekends ago.
It's called Forks Over Knives.  More info can be found here.

Anyways, I've been eager to try out new foods and new recipes.
Here's what I made tonight:

First, I decided to make my own granola bars because
when I read the ingredients label on the ones I buy from the store,
I was surprised at how processed it truly was. 
This recipe contains no sugar, no flour, no eggs, and no butter!


Here's the finished product.  It made 12 granola bars.
Good enough for 2 weeks worth of afternoon snacks for me.
And the best thing, they are so good! 

For supper I tried my hand at a new vegetable: sweet potatoes.
I've never been a fan of sweet potatoes, but I've read so many
good things about them, that I figured it was time to give them a try.

So I baked the sweet potatoes, added feta cheese,
cranberries and cilantro on top.  Quite delish. 
And then I sauteed some fresh green beans, onions, and red bell peppers. 
Again, so many great flavors.  We will definitely be eating this again!


Thanks to Pinterest for these recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment